Just because McDonalds is now serving lobster rolls does not mean it’s an excuse for lower seafood-quality standards. Given Westport’s proximity to the Long Island Sound, local seafood restaurants should serve nothing but the best. Here are eight spots do just that.
- The Whelk– Seated right on the Saugatuck River, The Whelk’s location provides the perfect backdrop to enjoying a fresh seafood meal. Definitely start with oysters but as for an entrée– it won’t be an easy decision. However, some of the best dishes include the grilled octopus, the scallops, or the striped bass.
575 Riverside Ave. Westport,CT; 203-557-0902
- Fjord Fish Market– This high-end fish market, with locations in Westport, New Canaan, and Greenwich, takes extreme pride in their responsibly sourced seafood. Meaning, they practice transparency and consideration with regards to their production (i.e. the fish have a quality diet free of antibiotics and GMOs, kept in clean water, etc.) Whether you’re hosting a backyard clambake or want to simply pick up dinner, stop by Fjord for premium seafood.
1835 Post Rd. E Westport, CT; 203-255-9331
- Joey’s by the Shore– Every true Westporter knows that Joey’s fries are a staple Compo Beach food but did you know they have great Lobster Rolls too? The beachside concession offers $17 quality lobster rolls which can be enjoyed right on the beach. It doesn’t get more coastal than that!
64 Compo Beach South, Westport, CT; 203-227-5356
- Rive Bistro– This small French bistro, seated on the Saugatuck River, offers an elegant array of seafood classics. In particular, the Lobster Cavatelli is to die for. Although the seafood is their specialty, the menu has plenty other entrée choices for meat-lovers.
299 Riverside Ave, Westport, CT; 203-557-8049
Other places to try nearby:
- Sono Seaport– Sono Seaport, which overlooks the Norwalk Harbor, has doubled as a seafood market and a waterside restaurant since 1984. With the relaxed coastal ambiance and diverse menu, it’s a great place to take the whole family. The stuffed clams are a must! 100 Water St., Norwalk CT; 203-854-9483
- The Restaurant at Rowayton Seafood– The Restaurant, with its waterfront location and elegant dishes, is a no-brainer to enjoy a spectacular meal with a view. Disclaimer–while there is a chicken or steak dish available, it’s best to eat here with true seafood enthusiasts (read: the kid’s probably won’t find much); however, any diner will not be disappointed.
89 Rowayton Ave, Norwalk, CT; 203-866-4488
Satisfy your hankering for fresh and flavorful seafood at any of these nearby restaurants. After all, ‘tis the season!