Are you ready to experience one of the greatest adventures of a lifetime – quite literally? Revel in the most thrilling, exhilarating and magical winter wonderland adventure ever, certain never to be forgotten.
Meet Westport native Kim Reichhelm:
Kim has exceled in the sport of skiing since snapping into her bindings at the very young age of three. Family trips to Stratton Mountain (Vermont) each weekend sealed her fate. Riding up the chairlift, Kim watched the inspiring ski racers below, instilling a desire within. By the age of five or six, she was banging on the door of the Stratton Mountain School’s ski club begging to be allowed to join the ski team. After accomplishing and completing each hurdle that was handed her (including the fact that she was too young/ not tall enough), the coach conceded. “I went into the ski school and graduated from the highest level class required within weeks,” said Kim. “And was back knocking on the Ski Team’s door with my certificate in hand. The coach was like, oh my gosh, this kid, I can’t get rid of her (laughed Kim). He allowed me to join and I never looked back.”
- Kim raced with the Stratton Mountain School Ski Team (1972-1978)
- United States Ski Team, at 15 years old, after being invited to train with them in Europe (1975 – 1979)
- Two time NCAA All American while attending the University of Colorado (1979-1983) and the Women’s Pro Tour
- Two-time World Extreme Skiing Champion (1991 and 1995) and is the only extreme skier to win the North American, South American and World Extreme Skiing titles in one season.
- “After racing for many years and through college I became a big mountain ski racer (extreme skiing),” continued Kim. “I kept wanting more challenge, I needed to have that rush and be constantly pushing my own limits.”
Kim did not go unnoticed, as before long, Greg Stump featured her in his ski movie, License to Thrill. Kim also appeared in To the Limit I-Max Films (stunt double), No Man’s Land Christian Begin Productions, and Sick Sense Match Stick productions. Kim was also featured as an extreme skier on Late Night with David Letterman, Good Morning America, Wide World of Sports and NBC Dateline. Kim worked in television broadcasting as a reporter for ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports and a color analyst before hosting instructional programs for RSN and Outdoor Life.
“It was through skiing and movies that I got invited to ski in Alaska and compete in the first ever World Extreme Ski Championships in 1991. Since then I have never missed a season of skiing in Alaska. I’m in love with the place.”
In 1989, Kim founded ‘Women’s Ski Adventures’, an innovative program designed for women of all ski abilities and has taught thousands of women around the world how to have fun on the slopes while boosting their confidence. Due to Kim’s success as an extreme skier and the popularity of the Women’s Ski Adventures, Kim created ‘Black Diamond Adventures’ in 1995. This co-ed program caters to men and women who are advanced skiers looking to take their skiing to a whole new level. This year, 2015, marks the 26th anniversary season of Kim’s hosting and directing numerous empowering clinics and over the top adventures.
Additional Guided Ski Adventures offered:
Ski with Kim: Vail, Ruby Mountains, Aspen, Alta, Alaska, Crested Butte, Internationally ski South America/ Chile or Iceland, Steep Skiing Camps, your own custom adventure, groups/family/kids adventures, and non-other than the ultimate ski adventure and the experience of a lifetime – helicopter skiing!
Note: you do not jump from the helicopter; it lands and lets you out safely.
Kim believes ‘great guides are key in creating the ultimate ski experience for her clients. She finds the very best guides available in each location, who share their knowledge, a shared strong appreciation for safety and lots of experience.’ “We guarantee that every detail is taken care of so that all you have to do is enjoy the adventure!” assured Kim.
Kim also works as a technical advisor for K2 Ski’s, Dalbello boots and Nil’s Skiwear, working with engineers and designers, she helps research, design, produce, market and promote state of the art ski equipment. “I travel with dozens of pairs of skis and equipment for all my guests to try,” said Kim. “I think we make some of the best skis in the world and we work very hard at it. I put in hundreds of days on the snow each year for K2, developing the products.”
- Fastest speed: While on the US Ski Team downhill racing – approx 75 mph
- Favorite Mountain: Aspen, I absolutely love it there.
- Highest Mountain Skied: On the Andes, in Chile, we landed via Helicopter at 14,000 feet
- Favorite Race: Having grown up in Vermont, we didn’t have the big mountains, so I was a Slalom specialist; it’s quick, very fast and has a lot of gates.
- Physical/ Health: I eat really well, a lot of fruits, vegetables, juices, good nutrition, and a lot of high proteins because I think I need them, low carbs because they slow me down, high energy foods. I also work out at the gym, I cross country ski, station bikes, yoga, core exercises, in the summer I kite surf and more. Kim also skis a minimum of 200 days per year (and has for the past 30 years).
Sponsors/Represent: Kim lives in Aspen, Colorado and represents several companies: K2 skis, poles, helmets and boots, Gorsuch (Ski with Kim’s host shop), Hestra, Clif Bar, Oakley, Smartwool, Aloe Up, Turtle Fur, Peeled Snacks and Los Vascos.
Future Goals: I’m doing more work in public speaking/teaching: how to be a positive leader, overcoming fear, goal setting, talking with kids about finding their paths, empowering women and people in the corporate world, to accomplish what they want to. I focus now more on the spiritual and psychological side of it. Skiing is spiritually a beautiful sport – the tranquility, it’s very stimulating, you feel refreshed and empowered, and it’s really graceful and beautiful. I have so many fabulous stories I’m compiling now.”
Rewards: “It gives me back so much and what I get back from my clients is so rewarding. I’m so rewarded being able to share my talents and my passion with people and in some cases have it be life changing for them. You would not believe how many people come up to me after they have skied with me and say – you have changed my life! I love this too much to ever change it (careers).”
skiwithkim.com. The 2015 calendar is posted. Not to be missed. “It’s a great gift too!”